Introducing Children to White Water Rafting
White water rafting for children can be a wonderful adventure activity provided that you have planned for it correctly. Here are some information we wish to share with you. Hopefully you will find them beneficial.
1. You can start children on white-water rafting adventures as it gives them an excellent opportunity to enjoy themselves outdoors. As parents I am sure you will agree that children need to spend more time outdoors.
2. In Malaysia, there are a few rivers that are suited for children. Sungai Kampar in Perak is one of them. Sungai Kampar is a 30 minute drive from Ipoh and a 2 hour drive from Kuala Lumpur. From Kuala Lumpur, take the North-South Expressway headed north and exit at the Gopeng Toll Exit. The rapids on the river are exciting but still considered safe for children.
3. We have had some parents bringing their children as old as 7 but we feel a good age to start them on white-water rafting is about 9-10 years old. By them they would have more confidence (hence make them less fearful of the rapids), slightly stronger to swim (if it was required) and would understand instructions better. Check with us if you are not sure.
4. We enjoy taking children white-water rafting because we know it is not only the adventure of going on the river but there is so much for them to learn – the rainforest that we are in, the different people that they will be meeting, trying different food, immersing themselves in the culture of the locals, etc.
5. We hope to be able to introduce these to children at a young age so they appreciate the outdoors, the adventures they go through, they understand their own capabilities and gain more confidence along the way. Children should spend less time indoors and away from their gadgets and devices.
Do you think you want to bring your children on an adventure of a lifetime? Get in touch with us. We would only be too happy to welcome you!
If you found this article helpful, do click the share button above.
Izz / My Adventure Host